Evaluation of vaginal birth safety in twin pregnancies with the first twin in cephalic presentation
Vaginal birth safety in twin pregnancy
Objective: To evaluate vaginal birth safety by comparing the results of cesarean birth in twin pregnancies with the first twin in vertex presentation.
Material and methods: A retrospective cohort study of vertex-presenting twin pregnancies between 32 weeks 0 days and 38 weeks 6 days of gestation was conducted at our hospital from January 2013 to December 2014. The study population was divided according to the mode of birth. The primary outcome was early neonatal mortality, and secondary outcomes related to maternal and perinatal clinical characteristics were analysed between the groups.
Results: Of 45,166 births, 1.92% (n = 869) were twin pregnancies. Of the 295 pregnancies meeting the study criteria, 30.16% (n = 89) were in the vaginal birth group, while the remaining 69.84% (n = 206) were in the cesarean birth group. In the vaginal birth group, all the first twins were delivered via vaginal birth, while among the second twins, 82.03% (n = 73) were delivered via vaginal birth, and the remaining 17.97% (n = 16) were delivered via cesarean birth. In the vaginal birth group, the early neonatal mortality rate was 22.4‰ (n = 2), and it was 9.7‰ (n = 2) in the cesarean birth group. All of the deaths occurred in pregnancies under 37 weeks of gestation.
Conclusion: The neonatal outcomes between the vaginal birth and cesarean birth groups were similar in term pregnancies with the first in twin vertex presentation, whereas adverse neonatal outcomes were increased in the vaginal birth group in preterm second twin pregnancies.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Bekir Kahveci, Mehmet Sukru Budak, Ihsan Baglı, Sedat Akgol
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
AEJOG is an open-access journal which means that through the internet; freely accessible, readable, downloaded, copied, distributed, printed, scanned, linked to full texts, indexed, transferred to the software as data and used for any legal purpose, without financial, legal and technical obstacles. The only authority on reproduction and distribution and the sole copyright role in this field; has been given to authors therefore they can have control over the integrity of their work, so that they are properly recognized and cited. This is in accordance with the BOAI definition of open access.
The content in Aegean Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology (AEJOG) is protected by copyright. All copyrights of the submitted articles are transferred to the Aegean Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology within the national and international regulations at the beginning of the evaluation process. Upon submission of their article, authors are requested to complete an assignment of copyright release form. Authors should acknowledge that they will not submit their manuscript to another journal, publish in any other language, or allow a third party to use the article without the written consent of the Aegean Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. When an article is published on AEJOG, it is read and reused for free as soon as it is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 (CC BY NC 4.0) license. In case the article is rejected, all copyrights are given back to the authors.
The content of the article and all legal proceedings against the journal, if any, are the responsibility of the author. In addition, all financial and legal liability for the copyright of the presented tables, figures and other visual materials protected by law belongs to the authors. It is the responsibility of the corresponding author to report authors scientific contributions and responsibilities regarding the article. In case of any conflict of interest, it is the responsibility of the authors to indicate the conflict of interest in the Disclosure part of the article. Author names will be published as they are listed on the submitted Title page.