Cerclage outcomes in singleton pregnancies at risk for preterm birth following assisted reproductive treatments
Cerclage outcomes of ART pregnancies
Keywords:cerclage, assisted reproductive technology, singleton pregnancy , preterm birth, cervical insufficiency
Objective: We aimed to evaluate the obstetric and neonatal outcomes of singleton pregnancies at risk for preterm birth (PTB) following assisted reproductive treatments and underwent cervical cerclage placement.
Material and methods: A total of 42 women with singleton pregnancies following ART who underwent cerclage between 2009-2021 were included in this retrospective study. Indications of the cerclage procedure, gestational age at cerclage placement and delivery, neonatal birthweight, and requirement for admission to the neonatal unit of newborns were evaluated.
Results: Of those cerclage placement performed in women with a history of second-trimester loss (19%), women with suspected cervical insufficiency according to pre-pregnancy evaluation (52.4%), women with the unicornuate uterus (4.8%), women with cervical shortening/or suspicious changes on ultrasonography (11.9%), and women with detection of cervical dilatation/shortening beyond 20 weeks of gestation (11.9%). Of the total group, 7.1% resulted in late miscarriages, while the remaining 92.9% ended with a live birth with mean gestational age at delivery of 37.0±2.5 weeks. Of those live births, 92.3% (36/39) delivered at >34 weeks and %74.4 (29/39) delivered at term. Except one neonatal death due to extremely PTB at 26th weeks, all infants were discharged from the hospital with well condition.
Conclusion: ART pregnancies are evaluated as a special group as having a higher PTB risk at baseline. Cerclage may be considered in broader indications for suspected cervical insufficiency in these pregnancies. There is need for further studies on the effectiveness of cerclage in these ART pregnancies with suspected cervical insufficiency based on different criterions used.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Gülnaz Şahin, Ferruh Acet, Ege Nazan Tavmergen Goker, Erol Tavmergen
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
AEJOG is an open-access journal which means that through the internet; freely accessible, readable, downloaded, copied, distributed, printed, scanned, linked to full texts, indexed, transferred to the software as data and used for any legal purpose, without financial, legal and technical obstacles. The only authority on reproduction and distribution and the sole copyright role in this field; has been given to authors therefore they can have control over the integrity of their work, so that they are properly recognized and cited. This is in accordance with the BOAI definition of open access.
The content in Aegean Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology (AEJOG) is protected by copyright. All copyrights of the submitted articles are transferred to the Aegean Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology within the national and international regulations at the beginning of the evaluation process. Upon submission of their article, authors are requested to complete an assignment of copyright release form. Authors should acknowledge that they will not submit their manuscript to another journal, publish in any other language, or allow a third party to use the article without the written consent of the Aegean Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. When an article is published on AEJOG, it is read and reused for free as soon as it is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 (CC BY NC 4.0) license. In case the article is rejected, all copyrights are given back to the authors.
The content of the article and all legal proceedings against the journal, if any, are the responsibility of the author. In addition, all financial and legal liability for the copyright of the presented tables, figures and other visual materials protected by law belongs to the authors. It is the responsibility of the corresponding author to report authors scientific contributions and responsibilities regarding the article. In case of any conflict of interest, it is the responsibility of the authors to indicate the conflict of interest in the Disclosure part of the article. Author names will be published as they are listed on the submitted Title page.