Effective use of office hysteroscopy in virgin patients: A series of 22 cases
Virginity and hysteroscopy
Keywords:Hysteroscopy, virginity, endometrial polyp, submucosal myoma
Aim: To investigate the efficacy of hysteroscopy in the diagnosis and treatment of patients with virginity.
Materials and Methods: The prospective study included 22 virgin patients that underwent hysteroscopy due to various indications between January 2015 and January 2022.
Results: Mean age was 35.4±12.6 years. Most common indication for hysteroscopy was heavy menstrual bleeding (n=13; 59.09%), followed by intermenstrual bleeding (n=4; 18.1%), vaginal bleeding (n=2; 9.09%), postmenopausal bleeding (n=2; 9.09%), and persistent vaginal discharge (n=1; 4.54%). Most of the patients (n=19; 86.36%) were in the premenopausal period and the remaining 3 (13.63%) patients were in the postmenopausal period. Maximum lesion diameter was 1.2±0.93 cm for endometrial polyps (n=20) and 1.8±0.9 cm for submucosal fibroids (n=4). Two patients had both endometrial polyp and submucous myoma. No patient had malignancy or endometrial hyperplasia. The procedure was completed successfully in all patients. No perioperative complications such as cervical trauma, uterine perforation or transurethral resection of prostate (TURP) syndrome were reported by any patient. Hymen integrity was preserved in all patients. Microscopically, no residual polyps and fibroids were identified and abnormal uterine bleeding (AUB) resolved.
Conclusion: Hysteroscopy can be performed in virgin patients as well and is well tolerated when performed by experienced physicians. Accordingly, physicians should consider hysteroscopy together with the vaginoscopic approach to explore the genital tract and evaluate intrauterine lesions in this population.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Yunus Cavus
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
AEJOG is an open-access journal which means that through the internet; freely accessible, readable, downloaded, copied, distributed, printed, scanned, linked to full texts, indexed, transferred to the software as data and used for any legal purpose, without financial, legal and technical obstacles. The only authority on reproduction and distribution and the sole copyright role in this field; has been given to authors therefore they can have control over the integrity of their work, so that they are properly recognized and cited. This is in accordance with the BOAI definition of open access.
The content in Aegean Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology (AEJOG) is protected by copyright. All copyrights of the submitted articles are transferred to the Aegean Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology within the national and international regulations at the beginning of the evaluation process. Upon submission of their article, authors are requested to complete an assignment of copyright release form. Authors should acknowledge that they will not submit their manuscript to another journal, publish in any other language, or allow a third party to use the article without the written consent of the Aegean Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. When an article is published on AEJOG, it is read and reused for free as soon as it is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 (CC BY NC 4.0) license. In case the article is rejected, all copyrights are given back to the authors.
The content of the article and all legal proceedings against the journal, if any, are the responsibility of the author. In addition, all financial and legal liability for the copyright of the presented tables, figures and other visual materials protected by law belongs to the authors. It is the responsibility of the corresponding author to report authors scientific contributions and responsibilities regarding the article. In case of any conflict of interest, it is the responsibility of the authors to indicate the conflict of interest in the Disclosure part of the article. Author names will be published as they are listed on the submitted Title page.